As of January 1, 2017, we are making changes to the release of an adult adoptee’s birth registration that affects:
- adult adoptees;
- birth parents of adoptees;
- adult children of a deceased adult adoptee; and
- adult children of a deceased birth parent whose child was placed for adoption.
Before the changes come into effect, adult adoptees and birth parents can:
- place a veto under the new process that will prevent the release of their identifying information. This only applies to adoptions granted before January 1, 2017; or
- file a contact preference that will place limits on contact from the other person but will not prevent release of their identifying information.
After January 1, 2017 the release of identifying information will be subject to any vetoes or contact preferences placed by a birth parent or adult adoptee.